16 November 2011

Teacher Resource: Science Fiction

Science fiction is one of those genres readers either love or hate. So many good ideas have been ruined in the minds of readers and viewers by badly designed special effects - and now too much is spoon-fed to the viewer by excellent special effects! Therefore, the best place for science fiction is in the mind; the best way to do "special effects" is with the imagination.

(I suppose this is true of most books that are turned into movies, but good science fiction contains so many moral questions, and so many imaginative ideas that it's a shame so few people get into the genre.)

One great example that immediately comes to mind is The Space Trilogy, by C.S. Lewis. Thankfully, at least to my knowledge, these books have not been turned into movies. Characteristically, Lewis takes what is true about our existence, namely what is true about God and humanity, and molds it all into a compelling narrative. Instead of Narnia, the protagonist Ransom travels first to Mars (Out of the Silent Planet), then to Venus (Perelandra); the trilogy closes with the "gods" making an appearance on our own planet (That Hideous Strength).

Whether a fan of Lewis or not, every fan of science fiction needs to pick these books up - all three are a must read in my opinion.

It has been one of my great accomplishments this year (in my mind anyway) that I got one of my seventh graders to start reading Out of the Silent Planet - and he's stuck with it! We'll see, when he writes to me about the book, how much he is comprehending, but the fact that he's trying it is progress.

Speaking of writing about books, I realized it's been awhile since I've shared a resource I'm using in my classes. Below you will find both writing prompts I use for science fiction. Feel free to use them in your classes, or share what you do in your classes!


Reading Response: SCIENCE FICTION #1

What makes a science fiction book science fiction is some kind of futuristic technology, and often that technology has to do with space or time travel.


In this letter you will:

1. DESCRIBE the futuristic technology.
2. EXPLAIN how the characters use the technology, and what they use it for.

(Of course, it's a work in progress to get each student to describe and explain - thus the all caps - but we're getting there in many cases.)


Reading Response: SCIENCE FICTION #2

What makes a science fiction book science fiction is some kind of futuristic technology, and often that technology has to do with space or time travel.


In this letter you will:
 
1. EXPLAIN how the futuristic technology in your book might be used in our day and age, and what its benefit could be.
2. DESCRIBE the consequences of using the technology, either good or bad.

As I said before, if you have any suggestions, even if you aren't a teacher, I'm open!!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...