22 December 2011

A Blur

This Christmas, don't let everything fly by. Better yet, let's make that a goal for all of 2012.





My children are no longer babies, and I'm sure time doesn't function correctly anymore; somehow these two bundles have accelerated things. Perhaps we're all victims of Wells's New Accelerator and we're experiencing time at an unbelievable clip. That would explain a lot.

A voice often speaks this truth to me: "Be present. Now is the only time you have."

I don't know how many times I have to hear it, but it's not sinking in. When I look up from Facebook, where a friend has just posted an update on his mood, I find my children have grown an inch. Once needing a stool to wash his hands, my son now stands on his toes.

You have no idea how disturbing hand washing can be until you see your baby in the middle of it. Of course it's then the flashbacks come on; the spitup on your clothes, the midnight feedings, the haze of sleeplessness. "Dad," and there he is, drying his once-stubby hands, "can I do the water project?"

When did he learn to talk?

Be where you are.

3 comments:

Nancy Thompson said...

Happy holidays!

Lost_without_a_Map said...

That's pretty cool. Was that deliberate?

Ian Anderson said...

Believe it or not, it was!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...