16 April 2012

N is for Names

is for Names.

Well, what's in a name? Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet? Perhaps.

Yet there's a phenomenon when something is named, especially in people - they tend to become what they're called, they grow into that name. It could be the name they received at birth, it could be the name their friends give them at school or in play, or worse, it could be the name a bully has crafted for them.

There are exceptions to be sure, but we will become what we're called if we believe those who are naming us. It helps, too, to know what your name means before you believe it.

Blazing a trail?
My wife and I took great care in naming our children; we used family names that not only meant something because it's their heritage, but also because the names carry good things for them to grow into. The first is "Guard," the second is "Leader." We will explain these things to them, we will show them their names - and I believe they will grow into what they're called.

There's a promise in Scripture found in Revelation 2 that says, "I'll...give a clear, smooth stone inscribed with your new name, your secret new name" (The Message). It's one of my favorite verses because this is what our hearts long for, to be called a beautiful name by our God.

The humbling thing is that he wants to start calling us his now, before we overcome, before we acknowledge him, he calls us to be named by his name. And when he names us, when he calls us his children, and we believe him - that's what we become.

I pray that whatever name you've grown into, whatever you have believed to be your name, that you will listen to the One who really knows your name, your secret name. (If you haven't, read J's post.)

***

Read more about my theme this April in my intro to the A-Z Blogging Challenge. Or visit the home page here.

3 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

A beautiful post. Thank you.

Denise Covey said...

I once read where the name your parents gave you reflected their expectations of you. I think there's truth in this.

Denise

Alex said...

I have a lot of trouble naming characters, but I'll likely have even more trouble naming a child. It sticks for a long time, ya know?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...